|Home > Products > Porch Posts > Info - Porch Posts > Porch Post Installation Instructions > Polyethylene Steel Core Porch Post Installation|
< Previous Page
Polyethylene Steel Core Porch Post Installation
(Also see Planning & Placement and General Post Installation)
To validate warranty, either install Polyethylene Porch Posts with the included Top and Bottom Fastening Plates (Steps 1 - 10 below) or with Top Fastening Plates and optional Deluxe Installation Kits with Trim Sleeves (bottom of page) at Post bottoms.
RAIL INSTALLATION CONSIDERATIONS
Handrail must be attached to the bottom square portion of your installed Posts. Keep this in mind if you need to shorten your Posts. To attach Rails, first pre-drill into the interior steel pipe. Installation screws must penetrate into this pipe.
Our Polyethylene Posts do not require painting. However, if you wish to paint, follow the paint manufacturer's instructions for polyethylene surfaces. Avoid dark colors (those with L value of 56 to 0, where 100 is white and 0 is black.)
INSTALLATION WITH INCLUDED
METAL FASTENING PLATES
Using the included fasteners (see Side View drawing) will require a bottle jack (available at Wal-mart) under a temporary support to lift the porch a small amount so each Post can be set into final position. Normally, Posts can be installed one at a time with only one jack.
The optional Metal Bracket installation method (see drawing at bottom of this page) will still require temporary support of the porch but each Post can be slid horizontally into position with minimal need to lift porch.
1. Measure height where Post will be installed. This measurement should be taken before jacking the porch structure slightly higher.
2. Remove fastening plates from bottom of Post.
3. If using handrail, check local building codes for minimum rail height. Decide how much is to be trimmed from each end of Post. Keep in mind you need to leave enough top flat area for any intended decorative items. Top and bottom Mounting Plates are 1/8" thick. Therefore, mark Post 1⁄4" shorter than total height required. (Optional Metal Brackets are 3/8" thick. Therefore, mark Post ¾" shorter than total height required if using Optional Metal Brackets at top AND bottom.)
4. Using a hacksaw, trim Post at top and/or bottom, leaving the center pipe flush with the outer shell.
5. Fasten one Plate, edges down, to the beam above.
6. Using a plumb tool, find and mark bottom position on floor.
7. Fasten the other plate, edges up, to the floor.
8. Position top of post directly under the top fastening plate.
9. Position bottom of post over bottom fastening plate.
10. Check post for plumb and then lower temporary support while keeping Post in position.
INSTALLATION WITH OPTIONAL Deluxe Installation Kit with Trim Sleeve (sold separately).
This installation method (see drawing below) also requires temporary support of the porch but each Post can be slid horizontally into position on top of the Metal Bracket with minimal need to lift porch. This method is particulary appropriate where building codes require protection from wind lift.
Slide Trim Sleeve over Post prior to positioning Post.
Attach each half of Metal Bracket to floor with screws.
Once Post is in place, attach Metal Bracket to Post. Screws must penetrate interior pipe. It will be necessary to predrill into the pipe.
Slide Trim Sleeve into position over Metal Bracket and caulk around top of Trim Sleeve.
Deluxe Kit Includes:
2 Heavy duty aluminum Mounting Brackets
Raises Post 3/8" above floor. Trim Sleeve
2-1/4" tall Trim Sleeve is slightly hollowed out to fit over the supplied Mounting Bracket and extends to the floor. At floor level Trim Sleeve extends 1" beyond each side of Post.
HALF POST INSTALLATION
Half Post are NOT intended for structural use. They are shipped without the steel core and Polyurethane foam filler.
We recommend obtaining a piece of 2x wood locally that is long enough and wide enough to roughly fit the cavity behind the unturned top and unturned bottom sections of the Half Posts.
Due to the way the Fastening Plate is produced, it will not work for Half Posts. The Optional Metal Bracket and Trim Sleeve shown above will work for Half Posts.
Return to previous page