|Home > Products > Porch Posts > Info - Porch Posts > Porch Post Installation Instructions > PVC Plain Square Post with Steel Core Installation|
< Previous Page
PVC Plain Square Post with Steel Core Installation
(Also see Planning & Placement and General Post Installation)
Install PVC Porch Posts with the included Fastening Plates (Steps 1 - 6 below) or with optional Metal Bracket and Trim Sleeve (bottom of page) to validate warranty.
Our PVC Posts do not require painting. If you wish to paint, follow the paint manufacturer's instructions for Cellular PVC surfaces. Avoid dark colors (those with L value of 56 to 0, where 100 is white and 0 is black.)
INSTALLATION WITH INCLUDED FASTENING PLATES
Using the included Fasteners will require a bottle jack (available at Wal-mart) under a temporary support to lift the porch a small amount so each Post can be set into final position. Normally, Posts can be installed one at a time with only one jack.
The optional Metal Bracket installation method (see drawing at bottom of this page) will still require temporary support of the porch but each Post can be slid horizontally into position with minimal need to lift porch.
Measure height where Post will be installed. This measurement should be taken before jacking the porch structure slightly higher.
1. Remove foam block insert from bottom of Post and retrieve Fastening Plates. (Each Plate comes in 2 pieces that are placed together to form one.)
2. Decide how much is to be trimmed from each Post. Top and bottom Mounting Plates are 1/8" thick. Therefore, mark Post 1/4" shorter than total height required. (Optional Metal Brackets are 3/8" thick. Therefore, mark Post ¾" shorter than total height required if using Optional Metal Brackets at top AND bottom.) Trim Post at top and/or bottom, leaving the center pipe flush with the outer shell.
3. Fasten one Plate (two halves), edges
down, to the beam above. Using a plumb tool, find and mark bottom position on floor.
4. Fasten other Plate (two halves),
edges up, to the floor.
5. Position top of Post directly under the
top Fastening Plate.
6. Position bottom of Post over bottom
Fastening Plate. Check post for plumb and then lower temporary support while keeping Post in position.
RAIL INSTALLATION CONSIDERATIONS
To attach Rails, first pre-drill into the interior steel pipe. Installation screws must penetrate into this pipe.
INSTALLATION WITH OPTIONAL Metal Bracket & Trim Sleeve (sold separately)
This installation method (see drawing below) also requires temporary support of the porch but each Post can be slid horizontally into position on top of the Metal Bracket with minimal need to lift porch. This method is particulary appropriate where building codes require protection from wind lift.
•Slide Trim Sleeve over Post prior to positioning Post.
• Attach each half of Metal Bracket to floor with screws.
• Once Post is in place, attach Metal Bracket to Post. Screws must penetrate interior pipe.
• Slide Trim Sleeve into position over Metal Bracket and caulk around top of Trim Sleeve.
• Heavy duty aluminum Mounting Bracket
(1 Bracket - split to insure perfect fit.) Raises Post 3/8" above floor.
Screws not included.
• Trim Sleeve
2-1/4" tall Trim Sleeve is slightly hollowed out to fit over the supplied
Mounting Bracket and extends to the floor. At floor level Trim Sleeve
extends 1" beyond each side of Post.
HALF POST INSTALLATION
Half Post are NOT intended for structural use. They are shipped without the steel core and Polyurethane foam filler.
We recommend obtaining a piece of 2x wood locally that is long enough and wide enough to roughly fit the cavity behind the top and bottom sections of the Half Posts.
Due to the way the Fastening Plate is produced, it will not work for Half Posts. The Optional Metal Bracket and Trim Sleeve shown above will work for Half Posts.
Return to previous page