< Previous Page
Porch Photo 62
A good example of how to tie into the main roof to
make the porch feel like the front room of the house.
There are several things that make Porch Photo #62 so appealing:
1. The porch side eaves align with the main house eave. That makes the porch feel like an integral part of the house.
2. The lower ends of the porch gable eave are tied together with a small roof section that allows the porch side eaves to continue across the front of the porch. This small roof provides a very finished appearance at the front of the porch.
3. There is a visible beam above the Porch Posts. This brings the decorative Brackets down out of the shadows. It also allows "The Third Dimension" to be added later if desired.
4. The Porch Posts and Newel Posts (on steps) are generously sized. That visually balances the 'weight' of the porch roof. These are not yet online but if you are interested in duplicating this look let us know and we will provide additional information about them.
5. A generously sized 'skirt' below the porch floor adds to the feeling of substance this porch projects.
6. The bottom rail below the Balusters is appropriately deep, further adding to the substantial feeling of this porch.
You will want to highlight the first three points above for your draftsman to be sure they are including in your plans.
Return to previous page